SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kl23

Great how-to articles on whole-house color schemes

kl23
9 months ago

I have been convinced for a long time that I want a whole-house color scheme. I have read several articles about the multiple advantages. But I was frustrated that I still didn't know how to execute my plan. Recently I read this article: https://www.fromhousetohome.com/whole-house-color-scheme/
FINALLY! It got me started. At least I was able to figure out what colors I want. Now, I think I can muddle through the rest, but I sure would welcome good articles others have read about the execution, the selection of materials in different colors, and when and how to use one color in multiple adjoining rooms. And I think there are others out there who also like the idea of a whole-house color scheme but are unsure how to get it. So I decided to start this thread to help us all. Please post your favorite articles or web-sites if they exist.

Comments (49)

• kl23
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Here is the only HOUZZ article I can find on the subject. Can anyone find more?

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/pick-a-paint-help-how-to-create-a-whole-house-color-palette-stsetivw-vs~13038406

• kl23
    Original Author
    9 months ago
  • Related Discussions

Online color consultant for whole house paint scheme?

Q

Comments (8)
    dasiychain01- that's good to know. I was thinking of using some bloggers who I thought seemed really knowledgable about color. Figured they might actually be better than an interior designer who is probably more skilled in furniture and things (also being in the NYC area, the one's near me are $$). I asked the builder about using the BM consultant (they use Benjamin Moore paint) but they said the way they get it isn't really through a store so there's no consultant? Not sure if that sounds right. I will double check. Since it's new construction there's nothing to match, it's just picking a bunch of things that work well together.
    ...See More

Whole house color scheme

Q

Comments (8)
    I've found that I can use all the colors and patterns that I love in my house, and have them be different from room to room (unless you have a completely open plan house) as long as the color intensity is kept more or less at the same level. By that I mean that having one room with all very dark colors and another room with very pale colors will make the house look disjointed. In addition to that if the style of your decorating is fairly uniform from room to room that will also have a unifying effect. Going from Swedish modern to English country will never work, even if you carry the same colors throughout. If you have a fairly consistent style and a palette of colors that is of a similar intensity (the picture with your three beautiful pillows is a good example of that), then there's no need to overthink the process; just allow yourself to buy the things you truly love in the colors you love. It will all come together beautifully and your home will have individuality and character without your having to agonize over rules with every purchase.
    ...See More

Whole house color scheme using Sherwin Williams paint

Q

Comments (1)
    A local consult from a designer will be the best money you spend on the project. Colors need to be chosen in the light that they will be viewed, and with the phish all samples of the products right there in front of you. You cannot choose colors online.
    ...See More

What do you think of either of these coffee tables?

Q

Comments (136)
    @KL I circled the unfinished portion on the photo. I don't have a finished photo on my phone and I'm not home. I have never tried to sell anything. For half a second I thought about trying to teach people with no artistic experience how to paint faces using oil, wax, a knife, and an outline. I did paint a portrait on Zoom while guiding a friend who was working on the same painting and outline. It was fun! I have given a few paintings away. I think this style table would be easy to market because people could pick any combination of top and legs. Sort of like OshKosh B'gosh clothing for kids. Also, I would only have to flip the legs upside down to make plant holders.
    ...See More
  • ker9
    9 months ago

Following…

• kl23
    Original Author
    9 months ago

https://www.fromhousetohome.com/choose-a-color-scheme/

Should have read this before. Now that I have a whole-house color scheme, the next question is how do I apply it? This article from the same author is a good next step, but I want to read more. On to the next article.

• kl23
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Finally, incorporation of these thoughts into furnishings! The article is really more than just math.

https://www.fromhousetohome.com/60-30-10-rule/

• Otter Play
    9 months ago

I have the beginnings of a whole-house color scheme. All ceilings and trim are the same white. Almost all the walls are the same slightly greyed light blue. Floors are all mid-tone reddish brown. I find it’s very easy to relocate furniture from room to room, and I can add almost any colors via art/rugs/furnishings to provide a change of scenery. I look forward to reading these articles to see where we go from here.

• kl23
    Original Author
    9 months ago

@Otter Play I am curious to know if your same-color blown floors are the same material or if you were able to find tiles the same color as your wood or other flooring material. I ask because I am envisioning a chocolate brown wood and similar color sandstone and similar color mini-pebble floors.

• Otter Play
    9 months ago

Except for kitchen, baths, and laundry, all the floors are the same product. The exceptions are all in a very similar color or sheet vinyl on a sea grass (or reed) textured pattern. The material is Tarkett, https://www.carpetfactoryoutlet.net/product/56860290/tarkett_fiberfloor_easy_living_18021_seagrass_oriental

• chispa
    9 months ago

I don't think you are going to get your answers from an article, guidelines or formulas!

Take a look at this house as an example:

This was the process described by the designer:

For photos of the house scroll down the page.

https://martynlawrencebullard.com/martyn/victorian-interior-design-narragansett-beach-house/

It all connects, but definitely doesn't use any guidelines or formulas. If you look at this designer's other projects, you'll see that he also has some that are quite white/monochromatic, so the level of "safe" design or "eclectic" design choices is set by the client and their needs/wants/likes and any existing collections and furnishings.

If you have a vision for the overall design and look of your house, you don't need someone else's guidelines or formulas.

• kl23
    Original Author
    8 months ago

@chispa but I did find that one article extremely useful, and I also found useful the article embedded within. For the first time, I have overcome my inertia about colors and materials. And I am no longer limited by decisions.

• kl23
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I realized the most useful article I posted originally is not live, so here it is again:

https://www.fromhousetohome.com/whole-house-color-scheme/

• kl23
    Original Author
    4 months ago

One of the difficulties with a whole house color scheme is with the trim. Wood trim looks great with bold and dark colors on the walls. Pastels look great with white trim. Bold colors also look great with white trim. But once I start using bold colors, I get bored with white trim. I think it would be fun to use bright colors for trim sometimes. Or it would be fun to create a gradation from dark wall, medium trim, light ceiling. But how do you do that through the whole house, especially if you want the ceiling darker than the walls in some rooms? Or is it enough to have a whole-house color scheme and deal with the trim color on a room-by-room basis?

• ilikefriday
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I think if it is done throughout the whole house the bold color becomes a neutral and the color that is commonly considered the neutral, imagine a white vase in the first photo, is what will stand out. That is just something I made up. It is not something I have ever heard an expert say. It is just something I notice when looking at colors.

Here are a few staircases. They are all bold but the one where the surrounding room is also the same color does not stand out as much. It becomes more of the neutral.

These last three photos pop because they stand out from their surroundings. I'm not sure the effect will be the same if that same color is on the moldings throughout the house. It might read as bold with the first room you see when you walk into the house but by the time you enter the third room it kind of feels like a lack of creativity and becomes more of a neutral imo.

Unless every room is spot on, those bold moldings throughout might even look like a mistake or like you got a great bargain on red paint.

Otoh a house full of red baseboards might turn out spectacular but I think there are easier, and more effective, ways to add a huge dose of bold and color continuity to a home. I would start with just the staircase and staircase moldings. Then add smaller doses of the same, or similar, color in other areas of the home. Use art, wallpaper, pillows, textiles, etc for those smaller doses. Layers of colors are key. A house full of red moldings might seem too forced.

• kl23
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@ilikefriday I'm glad you chimed in on this. We both like to be creative. You make it work, but I don't trust myself. I worry that if I leave white baseboards it will be like the white trim that used to be on my home exterior. It looked like someone primed them and forgot to come back to paint the top coat.

And yet I have white trim and ceiling in my new bathroom, because I wanted navy and white. If I do it all through the house...the white...will it look formulaic? Or un-creative?

• ilikefriday
    4 months ago

Will it look formulaic or uncreative?

I think it depends on what else is going on in the space. IMO white baseboards are boring but there are many, many things that bring boldness and creativity to a space. Having bold baseboards, all the same color, throughout will become very limiting especially since you don't have furniture picked out. My suggestion is to selectively change the color of the baseboards after the rest of the room is furnished and completed.

• Otter Play
    4 months ago

I have a somewhat different take on whole-house color schemes. Having a set of preferred (or default) colors gave me a starting point with my current home. My three colors can be used in a variety of ways (walls, trim, furniture, soft goods), and have served as a unifier for the whole. Since they form a neutral base, they allow for bolder colors to be added over time as tastes and moods change. § One other consideration, for me at least, is by having ceiling and trim colors (whatever they are) stay constant, repainting is not as tedious as it could be. (I truly dislike painting ceilings — and baseboards.)

• kl23
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Hubby and I have been watching "Shetland" on BritBox and thrill at the scenery with the intensely contrasting colors: bright green hills, bright white, dark to bright azure sea, dark rock, tall sandy grasses and sandy beach. He would add the glow of light on a medium caramel wood. I would replace the dark rock with chocolate. And in other shows, he loves a dark wine red room. It's just nice we both like bold coloring. And like you said, @ilikefriday dark colors really set off white. Like these pictures.

COVERINGS 2013 · More Info

Vintage Chic · More Info

• kl23
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@Otter Play I know one color is your flooring. It looks like a warm mid-tone caramel. What are your other two colors?

• ilikefriday
    4 months ago

@kl23

You put way, way, way more thought into the whole house color scheme then I do. I have one but it was not intentional. It just happens that I am drawn to the same colors throughout the house. I stumbled upon my color scheme by accident. Black, blue, red/hot pink and all their variations. I cannot wait to see your space after it has been completed.

• Otter Play
    4 months ago

Kl23. Floor is mid-tone brown with reddish tones. Trim and ceiling are Behr Linen white. The third color is Benj Moore Graytint (#1611) a chameleon of a color that can look grey or pale blue or white. Since I usually live near the sea, it seems appropriate. § I have rugs that are navy, one that is splotchy (tech term) grey, and mostly white. Lately, I’ve added a geometric chevron stripes of rust, cream, and almost-teal. All the rugs have been in multiple rooms.

• Otter Play
    4 months ago

And then there was a house I saw several years ago. Orange-green-purple color scheme throughout, but trim and wall color varied from room to room. Color shade (not tech term) and intensity changed as well. The owner was a painter. Figures.

• kl23
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@Otter Play that's one of my favorite triadic color schemes. I also like analogous: blue, green, caramel.

• ilikefriday
    4 months ago

@Otter Play

I would love to see a house such as you described. Orange, green, purple. Did you like it?

• Otter Play
    4 months ago

Ilikefriday. When I mentioned the owner was a painter, I should have said painter is an artist. I liked it very much. §§ Small older home probably built in the 1930s. The colors were neither primary nor pastel. I’d call them soft. (Something along the lines of SW Avid Apricot-Romaine-Potentially Purple, but those are just remembrances.) At least green and orange were used for trim colors in different rooms; don’t recall purple trim. Purple was used for the bedroom walls. Various tones and intensity of all three colors for finishes and furnishings. Quite effective.

• kl23
    Original Author
    4 months ago

These? @ilikefriday did you find said artist yet? 🤭

I had a house with all oak floors, doors, stairs, and trim once. The walls were all off-white. It was standard at the time. The kitchen had no trim and the floor was ruined and replaced with vinyl. I made the kitchen, laundry, and associated powder room delftware blues and whites (the ceiling was called Snow Shadow) with oak cabinetry and new vinyl in chocolate brown. Blue and white checked table cloth and Pella lace at the window. So there I went with a sort of complimentary color scheme: orange-red brown and blue. Pretty simple but there were several shades of both the blue and the brown. I also had the outside of the house painted from all white to a nice blue with white trim. Then I started making mistakes with wallpaper: golden beige in the dining room and pink in the living room, both in too small a print. Moved away before I could correct it. Next owner undid everything. The exterior became grey with bright red trim.

I think that's important to remember. Whatever we decide won't last forever. Maybe next time I make a mistake, I will be willing to undo it faster. I have fewer years left to wait.

In that house I had with oak everywhere, the color of the wood had to be part of the color scheme in my mind. And furniture too in my current home and future plans for it, needs to be part of the color scheme...or at least I thought. My new interior designer looked at my stairs and said we could strip and stain them. I wanted stone at the time so I didn't follow up. But now it looks like I'll be having wood stairs still, and the wood will be at least a third of the surface area because I am DONE with carpet on stairs. So I can't ignore the color, even if it is a bit neutral.

OK, what I am getting at is how do you handle wood in a whole-house color scheme? And what if you have more than one wood furniture type/color? Do you become rigid and remove the "different" wood, restrain it, etc. Or do you embrace the diversity of woods and stains as subtle variations of "brown"? I am leaning towards diversity, and even spreading out my groupings across different rooms, deliberately breaking up the currently unpopular "sets" until matching furniture in a room is popular again. Or will I be dead first? 😂

• kl23
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I'm de-Christmasing and the living room is looking especially durable without the hits of red. That's one reason I chose this designer. Her portfolio showed a raw talent in using touches of bright color in a sea of neutrals and pastels. I'm glad she's looking forward to do so in a dark sea.

When the tree goes today, it will show the designer how badly I need a lighting plan. How I would love the little tiny warm lights all year long without feeling like an idiot. Isn't there some way? Last year I bought lighted "twigs" you could stick in a vase with other fake or real flowers. I never got around to adding the "other". It was OK. Upstairs I have a stained-glass huricane-like lamp I filled with little lights. It looks like firefies to me.

De-Christmasing is no fun.

• ilikefriday
    4 months ago

No, I didn't find the artist but I did find this. It's a different shade of orange and it is totally me 😄

I can't imagine a plain white ceiling in this space. I will have to search for photos.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    4 months ago

Although I love it when people pull off bright, bold colors, it doesn’t always work for me. So for my interior I have a soft, blue green and a pale, sandy yellow for wall colors in the main areas of the house. Think a soft sea and beach. All the trim is the same shade of white. I have copper and mid range wood tones and a bit of black here and there. It really works well.

• kl23
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@ShadyWillowFarm that sounds like a really peaceful whole-house color scheme. What wood color(s)?

• kl23
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@ilikefriday I see several oranges, the tub is a bit more yellow orange and the walls a bit more red orange. Then there's the art and floor oranges. Together they glow! It's definitely you!

I looked too. I found this: and thought you might like it: https://www.vogue.co.uk/gallery/suzy-menkes-piasa-vincent-darre-selling-up-to-reinvent-himself

This one has a light orange ceiling. I saw others with a full pastel orange ceiling that weren't as attractive to me. One had a black and white ceiling and floor. I liked that, but not as much as the yellow-orange. I think I like it when the ceiling is lighter than the walls but not all the way to white. Like my old blue kitchen. When I see the ceiling lighter and brighter than the walls, the ceiling seems higher. What do you think?

Another option I like is to take the color of an accent wall up onto the ceiling. When I see that over and behind a bed, the bed seems more integrated into the room.

• kl23
    Original Author
    4 months ago

This is a neutral example, but this is what I mean by having something on the bed wall that extends up across the ceiling.

Master bedroom · More Info

• kl23
    Original Author
    3 months ago
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    3 months ago

I have lots of wood colors, from coppery to dark walnut!

• kl23
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I found another article on decorating with dark green. I like the idea of including multiple greens in one room and think it would be fun to include another idea of adding a jewel tone against a dark green background.

https://www.thespruce.com/green-living-room-ideas-4122169

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

@kl23 x did you notice that none of the green rooms had white molding?

I have a house with A LOT of wood - strong Craftsman moulding on all doors and windows, custom wood cabinets flanking the dining area, a wood tray ceiling in 1/2 of the Great Room AND wood floors throughout (which are slightly redder than the wood trim).

It absolutely affected my design choices. I live with ivory walls for the first time in my life - all the walls are SW Antique. The seller had used a light khaki, but it made the house dreary. Most of my furniture and decor choices lean to the greens and blues (except the master bedroom). I think the color of wood floors definitely matters in a whole house color scheme. The house I own now has the most “red” in the wood floors and it does change my decisions.

• kl23
    Original Author
    3 months ago

@RedRyder no I missed that but will look again. Thanks!

• kl23
    Original Author
    3 months ago

@RedRyder I saw the trim work treated both ways. So that's nice to have as a reference. One even recommended white or black trim. Of course your wood trim looks beautiful with everything.

I am starting to get comfortable with the windows and doors in white and the baseboards and crown moulding in white or anything else.

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

What about the doors and window trim in ivory instead of white? Or are the windows already trimmed in white and can’t be painted over?

And doors can be dark….

• kl23
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Yeah, I'm just saying that there are several ok options. Things don't have to match.

• ker9
    last month

I came across this article and it made me think of this thread

https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/how-to-choose-your-perfect-color-palette

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

@ker9 Thank you! I really enjoyed reading that. And I had to laugh in that I choose green tops all the time, so I guess it really IS my go-to color! Thank you so much for adding to the list. You never know how an approach might help someone.

• ker9
    14 days ago

I came across this interesting site when looking for trim colors. It will create a pallet as well as different colors that coordinate.
    I’m not exactly sure how to use it but thought I’d share it.
    Colorsxs.com
    https://www.colorxs.com/palette/color/sherwood-tan-1054

• kl23
    Original Author
    14 days ago

@ker9 that's really neat! I tried it with a chocolate color:

https://www.colorxs.com/palette/color/pantone-19-1109-tcx-chocolate-torte

• ker9
    14 days ago

I got the hex number,
    used the site hextoral to get the ral number,
    searched Sherwin Williams
    And came up with pastel turquoise
    Mind blown

• ilikefriday
    13 days ago

I have been playing with the the site that @ker9 posted for about 30 minutes now. I think I can easily become consumed with it. I love how it shows the analogous colors that correspond to the color entered. This is very helpful!

• ker9
    13 days ago

This site will convert hex to the closest SW color

https://qconv.com/en/convert-hex-to-sw

• ker9
    13 days ago

Sorry kl123 I hope this isn’t hijacking your thread.

• kl23
    Original Author
    13 days ago

@ker9 noooo.... This is totally cool! Great to have as many resources as we can.