SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
betajnt

Kitchen layout help- getting started

Jennifer
8 months ago

We are just getting started with a kitchen remodel and would love some help on layout ideas. Our kitchen functions ok for one cook, but whenever my husband and I cook together, we are in each other's way (the worst offender is where the DW is- basically if you are trying to load the dishwasher, you're blocking much of the peninsula lower cabinets as well as prep space).

I've included a sketch of the whole first floor since changing the kitchen layout will affect the rest of the first floor. The kitchen is part of an open floorplan with the living room. The dining room is adjacent to the kitchen, but has a pantry closet and a broom closet flanking doors that lead into it, making it a bit formal and closed-off from the kitchen.

My current thoughts are to: get rid of the peninsula and extend the workspace a little farther into where the eat-in space is now, get rid of the eat-in table area, add an island (with seats if there is enough space), and somehow make the kitchen connect to the dining area a little better. We are also thinking we'll make the opening to the sunroom a bit smaller and add a door to it.

Sketch of first floor with dimensions:

Overview of kitchen/eat-in area:

Looking into the dining room from the kitchen:

Looking back at kitchen from the dining room:

Comments (18)