SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeowner2024

Help with curb appeal

newhomeowner2024
15 days ago

Hi everyone. I purchased this house last fall. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my front yard. Originally there were 4 really dead bushes under the window on the left. It gets morning and afternoon sun. I'm planning to limewash the brick white and paint the trim black. I'm looking for some already establish plants to kind of fill it out. I was thinking canna lilies, elephant ears, hostas, then some kind of flower ground cover or small flowers. I've been able to find some of those fairly cheap on Facebook marketplace. I'm in Houston so zone 9a. This is my first time having a yard and I would love some help with this!!

Thank you!

Comments (25)

• najlaamundson
    15 days ago

I would remove the tree that is in front of the front patio. I think hostas would look fabulous there - and maybe for some color, add a couple hanging pots with Wave petunias. Under the other window - I think is up to you! You could throw some wildflower seeds there and let it just bloom! I also think what you suggested would be awesome. Congratulations on your first yard!

newhomeowner2024 thanked najlaamundson
  • jackowskib
    15 days ago

That will be a really cute house when you finish the updates you described! That flower bed in front of the porch, I would remove the edger stones and just trench out the border to keep it clean but I would make it about 3 ft wider than it is to give it some prominence there. I would do a rounded flower bed on the left that connects with the front porch one. Have fun!

newhomeowner2024 thanked jackowskib
  • Related Discussions

Help with curb appeal

Q

Comments (21)
    It's a cute house and the hardscape is nice. I'd plant some flowering plants in your gravel by the path. As for the collection of shrubbery to the left of the door, I can't tell what it is. It looks kind of crowded and overgrown. Figure out what you like, whether the overgrown stuff can be pruned and go from there. If you replace the lawn to the left of the path with driveway, the driveway will overwhelm your house.
    ...See More

Help with Curb Appeal

Q

Comments (9)
    You have some orange in the stones, and your roof is a reddish brown. SW Chelsea Gray or Stamped Concrete read as a sage against the stones. I think that’s pretty, but you may not like the green. Favorite Tan is close to the orange stones, and reminds me of the color of a saddle. Not sure how it would play against your roof, though. Make sure you get tester pots and paint a large board (at least 2’ x 2’, larger is better). Colors seem different when they are larger and outside. Do you have any plans to replace the roof soon? If so, I would choose a lighter color that also works with the stones.
    ...See More

Help with curb appeal

Q

Comments (4)
    What is the budget ? What are you ( or he) open to change? For starters, it looks like decluttering & re-landscaping is needed. Is the first pic how it looks now? Better pictures from other angles would help.
    ...See More

Help my curb appeal

Q

Comments (18)
    I think staining or painting the red brick only looks like an improvement based on what people saw before. That is to say, if you came upon this house for the first time after all the suggestions for staining or painting had been done, you'd be thinking: How can I change the look of this house? The big black portico overhang is the thing I would most want to change, along with the black roof trim. The house has a design (not saying it is one I like) and I think uncovering the design would be a step in the right direction, rather than constantly applying coats of darker paint. Wondering if any other houses in the neighborhood are like this? Are there photos of the house when it was built? Would love to know what is behind the lattices.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    15 days ago

Here are a few ideas:

newhomeowner2024 thanked Dig Doug's Designs
  • beesneeds
    15 days ago

I like the brick, though it looks like it could use a washing. Keep in mind that currently your brick is low maintenance, only really needing the occasional wash. If you limewash it, you can't ever go back to the original brick again. You will also need to start keeping up the paint job just like any other painted exterior cladding.

newhomeowner2024 thanked beesneeds
  • Cara Fidler
    15 days ago

I suggest azalea bushes. I posted some pics below from Pinterest.

newhomeowner2024 thanked Cara Fidler
  • kandrewspa
    15 days ago

I don't think white with black trim will be a good look for this house. Something similar to what Dig Doug posted would be more attractive. The white with black is "in" now (even that I'm not sure about - for me it's already been overdone), but in 5-10 years you will have to redo the exterior. Better to just clean the brick so you don't ever have to paint or whitewash it again. It's the brown trim that's currently bringing it down.

newhomeowner2024 thanked kandrewspa
  • PRO
    newhomeowner2024 thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • newhomeowner2024
    Original Author
    14 days ago

The stones will go away and just be black mulch. It seems too tall/floaty. I think I wanted it more full/lush. Like these. Thoughts?

• KW PNW Z8
    14 days ago

Looks like a good number of plants to create a full garden look & much bettter than existing. My caution is to be sure to allow space for growth. Stagger the plants - no soldier like rows. Add a bit of space center to center in addition to what plant tag says. Mulch all that space - it’ll look great. I’m looking for my path to walk up to your front door….it looks like I have to walk up driveway to garage & then across the porch. Not a great welcoming set up. You have to take out lots of grass anyway for your nicely expanded planting beds, right? Why not take the time to plan a walkway from the driveway to front door that’s in front of the tall shrub that is already there? Looks like it creates a nice small tree shape as long as you keep the bottom growth pruned off & trunk exposed. Use pavers or flagstone as your walkway. Plant most of the plants for that side in front of the new walkway in an expanded bed. Plant some of them along the porch edge with the existing small shrub tree. You’d want to put in a rigid path border to hold the gravel in place around the stepping stones. This is a much smaller project than your initial plan to whitewash brick which seems none of prior responders favored - me either. Leave it & create magic with prettier color on trim & doors.

newhomeowner2024 thanked KW PNW Z8
  • newhomeowner2024
    Original Author
    14 days ago

I'm going to add a walkway of pavers. Either leave the grass between them or put the black edge and pea gravel around the pavers. I'll likely leave the brick (it's more yellow in person) and maybe just repaint the trim a dark blue or dark grey, maybe?

• KW PNW Z8
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

@newhomeowner2024 Great minds think alike! 😊 Seems either the dark blue or grey will work - looking at mockups in other replies in this thread. You plan to power wash so maybe decide once that’s done as the color change of brick might be remarkable. Paint samples are key. You can also test colors with the online visualizers where you upload your home & try out colors. The path - the look of grass between the pavers is nice but it might be labor intensive to mow. Personally I like the look of a more defined path with gravel or a no mow fill around the stones / pavers. Seems like path should start no closer to house than midway up the drive.

ETA: for path - I mean, not too sharp a curve. More of a meandering path. The mockups posted by Celery & Dig Doug’s are both great examples & easily scaled down for a smaller path.

• beesneeds
    14 days ago

I like you plant choices and spread so far! I bet it makes you extra itch to get the brick washed and trim painted so you can start working on the beds. I'm a fan of choosing blue over grey for your trim.

newhomeowner2024 thanked beesneeds
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 days ago

Hostas in Houston in afternoon sun? That doesn't sound like a good idea...........

newhomeowner2024 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    14 days ago

I wouldn’t paint anything black, especially if there’s no other black around. IMO it looks cheap, like you had some leftover black paint in the garage and decided to use it.

Do you have hostas already? I’m surprised hostas grow in Houston. For sure don’t plant them in the sun!

newhomeowner2024 thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • gardenfanatic2003
    13 days ago

What direction does your house face? I think to keep hostas alive in Texas you have to do a lot of watering. And if your house faces any direction but north, hostas would fry in the sun.

newhomeowner2024 thanked gardenfanatic2003
  • gardenfanatic2003
    13 days ago

I'd be tempted to paint the door turquoise since the house already has a southwestern colors theme going.

• newhomeowner2024
    Original Author
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Here's an update picture. I agree that the hostas will probably need to be replaced. I had initially thought to go with hostas when I thought the area was full shade. I just recently realized it has morning and afternoon sun. I'm not too sure about the left back row. Those are canna lilies but they're not standing tall like I was hoping. I still need to add a black boarder where the stones are and add a paver walkway. I'm also planning to replace the door. Thoughts?

• KW PNW Z8
    12 days ago

@newhomeowner2024 Great progress! I would make both beds deeper & not so round. I’d extend the outside straight edges - the property line edge on left & the driveway line on right - towards the street & curve the ’round’ edge up toward porch. The result will be that pathway will have a nice border. Those hosta - maybe they can survive in left bed up by house. Your 6 pm pic shows that section still shaded. If you plant along porch where they’re sitting in planters now, they will also have the reflected heat from sun hitting porch & drive. The other bed in shade will be many degrees cooler surrounded by soil & grass. Your door - is that a storm door you’re showing & you’re going to replace the white half window storm door on house? If so, I do like the new storm door but not in the lavender color it looks like it is. Do you need a storm door & is inside door in good shape & nice design?

• newhomeowner2024
    Original Author
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I'm not sure what you mean by straightening and rounding the bed. Does the red lines match what you're suggesting? The white door is just a solid 1 piece wood door. It's very old and in bad condition. There is not a srirm door. I would be replacing the white door with the one that has glass, it is a steel door. I'll paint it to match the new trim color, which is still being determined.

• KW PNW Z8
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

@newhomeowner2024 I tried a very rough markup of your pic — sorry so rough! But, I mean a bigger bed with inside edges on a soft & long curve. The outer edges should follow the driveway on right & property line on left as you have it.Doesn’t have to be as big as I drew but it’s more the shape I’m meaning. It’d be a nice frame to path & easier to mow around path too with no grass there. The black arrow is where I suggest trying the hosta as it seemed the most shaded.

• jackowskib
    11 days ago

I like what you’ve done so far! Consider doing a curved walking path on right side from driveway to front door, just follow along the bed you have there. When budget allows consider painting all the rust trims a nice grey/green color.

• KR KNuttle
    9 days ago

When I look at the pictures of your house and those pictures with modifications, the first thing I see is the white window on the left side of the picture. The last thing I see is the window that is hidden behind the large bush on the right.

I think that the bush needs to go, and the two window trims be painted in a similar neutral color, something bring but not blaring. I would repaint the garage door to a less glaring light yellow or light tan. This would balance the architectural features of your house

What is on the right (Picturewise) side of the house, on the other side of the driveway? Remember to present your house, this side also adds and subtracts from the presentation.

I would then highlight the porch area with some low growing plants like drift roses, or other COLORFULL plantings. I would count balance the garage door with some large Bush on the far left side of the house, planting it out nearer the street to help frame your house. Budget practical, I would add a sidewalk coming from in front of the door with a pleasant curve to the drive.

• Charles Kidder
    8 days ago

The edging stones aren't bad. They just aren't installed properly. They should be at least half buried. I would see if you can buy more matching ones and create a second row on top of the half or fully buried bottom row. They sell them at Home Depot and Lowes for like $3 each. Not sure if they carry an exact match, but if you mostly bury the ones you have now, the top row probably doesn't need to match exactly. One of the main advantages of doing this is it will keep grass from growing into the beds. Later on, you'll probably want a nice lawn and in Houston that probably means a warm season grass. They spread out aggressively. In a few years, you may be really glad you followed my advice.

• housegal200
    8 days ago

Keep the brick the same interesting color with the black accents you have planned. Remove the shutters entirely for a more modern look since you don't have any shutters in front. But first, "shampoo" your roof before you spiff up anything else.

Mid-Century Front Entry - Fox Point, WI · More Info

Mid-Century Front Landscape - Fox Point, WI · More Info

Same palette as yours. Seriously, save your whitewashing money for landscaping and hardscaping.

Mid Century Modern Re-Visit · More Info

Have a garden designer help you plan new hardscaping and landscaping. Remove all those stones that block off your planting bed so you start with a blank slate.