SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
verityhoskins

Re-cladding ideas for our 1970s shed style

Jane H
14 days ago

The diagonal redwood siding on our home needs to be replaced. We love the look of and the idea of wood-look composite of cement fiber vertical siding, but with 5k square feet to clad, the cost of the brands we have found online seem prohibitive to us (80K just in materials). We also know that there is going to be a ton of work to be done to the framing once we get it all off, plus insulation, fascia, guttering etc. Most windows have been replaced and we will not be replacing the huge ones at the front for now. These are old real estate pics - it's currently painted black and the driveway has been redone. Unfortunately, painting it black acceleratedf the deterioration of the wood and it really all needs to come off.

We really want to retain the 70s vibe of the house - I don't love the idea of a mixture of many different types of cladding. Its still very 70s inside (we have remodeled sympathetically to the era and we love it) and so I don't want to charge the overall style of the exterior.

Would love advice of brands to look into, materials that might be more cost effective, etc. Board and batten is an option although i don't love it. I don't think i could bring myself to go horizontal but if the price difference is really significant maybe?!

We are in San Diego. I think we do have a great installer but his skillset is with actual installation not creativity:)

Thanks All!

Comments (6)