SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gtdj519

Fireplace mirror size?

gtdj519
13 days ago
last modified: 13 days ago

my fireplace mantle is 7 feet long.

i have 42 inches of space from top of mantel to bottom of crown molding.

if i follow the suggested 2/3 size of mantle guide, that would be to use a 56 inch wide mirror. it had been hard to find a mirror in a 30x56 that looks nice and is also affordable.

i found this one that i like , but would a 48 wide be too small?

a chandelier will be installed soon, so the mirror will be reflecting it

Comments (68)

• la_la Girl
    13 days ago

^ good idea, also you might decide on round once your other pieces are hung

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    13 days ago

A round mirror may not be best… i thought and looked for round mirorrs, however , i can can only fit up to a 40 round ( and that would be pushing it with 1 inch of clearance )

due to height above the fireplace to the crown molding i only have 42 inches of space.

. then the issue would be that it is not wide enough as its 40 diameter and my mantle is 7 feet wide

• Related Discussions

where to put vanity mirror and what size mirror

Q

Comments (2)
    I would leave enough room so that when I turned on the faucet I was not at risk of splashing my hands onto the mirror. If the mirror is on a medicine cabinet, be sure the mirror, when opened, clears the faucet handle when "on" If neither one of these issues are pertinent, then I would be sure that there is room above the counter so the bottom edge is not exposed to water. We had a mounted wall to wall mirror above the vanity and it rested on the 4" backsplash. Over a few years the mirror delaminated near the faucet/sink wet area. The mirror would get wet and run down into the bottom space between the mirror and the top of the backsplash. It just got worse and worse over the years and because it was affixed to the wall, there wasn't anything to do but tolerate it until time to do a gut of the room. As far as width, that would be your personal preference. If the mirror is on a cabinet, will the door swing interfere with side lights?
    ...See More

What size mirror over fireplace with no mantle?

Q

Comments (6)
    I would consider refacing that fireplace with something to go to the ceiling as for the mirror always think about waht is reflected when you hang a mirror , most of the time nothing worth seeing twice so look for art a much nicer choice and hang the mirror in an entry or somewhere else.
    ...See More

what size mirror should one use over a fireplace.

Q

Comments (10)
    A mrrow is probably the absolutely least interesting thing tht you can put in that space. Unless you have something really interesting to be reflected like a window view, it's just plain dull. Take your time and look at some nice framed art instead.
    ...See More

Mirror size/ shape for flanking fireplace?

Q

Comments (67)
    kL here are answers What goes on the wall opposite the window? the wall opposite the window, i have a wood and marble too sideboard. I will hand a mirror over that, and have large glass hurricanes with candles and phots/ decor decor. What kind of window treatments are you using/envisioning? i am keeping the hunter doiglas shades I have there and adding ivory sheer panels on a rod above it. I jse tonhave a fabric valance across rhe top, but i got rid of it. I am over the heavy drapery. I want to keep it light, simple and airy Are there chairs in the scene? Do you have them, or need to buy them? I have a sofa and loveseat. I have 2 ottomans that are under sofa table that can be pulled out for addirional seating. I am thinking of maybe getting a bench for in front of fireplace. Are you going for a contemporary glam look with the pastels and chrome? I love the look! i guess my home style is transironal/ with a touch of glam (?) i dont really box myslef into one decor style name. I believe all styles can work in harmony with one another. I just put together what I like and kooks nice and it can be called whatever one likes to call it 😂 Sidebaird on opposit wall from window Ortomans i was referring to Anither angle of LR space to give you an idea of layout
    ...See More
  • Maureen
    13 days ago

Can layer to create balance/width with a smaller mirror.

• Kate Cowers
    13 days ago

Making some templates of different sizes and lightly taping them to the wall would give you an idea of what each size would look best. A minimal investment to cut some cardboard rather than spending money on a mirror you end up disliking!

I like Maureen's suggestion and pic above.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thanks ladies !

those are good ideas and i will do- template , , taping. etc i am also going to run out soon to hime goods and ist buy any mirror the approx . size i am thinking of to prop up for a visual.

as for layering, it is a pretty look, howver I dont want too many things on the mantle. i want to keep the mantel simple: the candles i have and possibly something on the orher side, if anything at all.

i am getting a statement chandelier ( deciding between 2) and large art, so i dont want to overdo it wirh accessories. i would like the art and chandelier to be the focal points

i have accessories already in place, which i like and are meaningful to me etc, unfortunately, i have been told time to time that even what i have is ” too much, too cluttered….. etc” by houzz posters.

it can feel pretty deflating when you think you have it right and then it is ripped apart. i know all that matters is if i like it, but i do value the opinions of others as perhaps they see another side of it

• cubby14
    13 days ago

I would tape out several sizes and see which your eye likes. I usually like to keep the art or mirror similar to the size of the firebox,. It is very subjective and not an exact science kind of thing. Even the articles online are just a guide.

gtdj519 thanked cubby14
  • Olychick
    13 days ago

I think going too large won't be a problem; going too small will. Since your chandelier will be reflected, it will be the focus, not the mirror.

I think this one ^^ would look better if the mirror were taller to frame the reflection more fully. It's also the angle of the photo, but larger would look good here.

Taller ceilings than yours, but this mirror does nothing for the space because it's too small.

This one goes to the ceiling and looks good. I think because the frame is a little thick and darker than the walls, it sets it apart from the ceiling, so can go as high as it does.

gtdj519 thanked Olychick
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    13 days ago

You an have too many rectangles on a wall if you're not careful

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I agree olychick, the mirror being too small is my concern. i mocked up 53 inch wide and even that felt a bit small

i am going to aim for bigger ! i actually think i may have found one!!! heading hiome with 2 mirrors now !

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I have 2 mirrors

choice 1 is slightly smaller than the recommended 2/3 width of mantle size ( my mantle is 7 foot, so 55 is smallest recommended size) i like the frame style and beveled glass, but Ii am not crazy about the color though. i was hoping it would read more silver in my home with lighting etc, but it still reads very gold/ brownish .

choice 1 is 30x53

Choice 2 is bigger. Ii think it is really beautiful

and i love the soft silver finish:/color and beveled glass. I am not sure if it is too big .(?)

choice 2 size is 30x65

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    13 days ago

What will this mirror reflect? I only hang mirrors outside the bathroom if they reflect something worth seeing twice.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    13 days ago

It will reflect a gorgeous chandelier. I love the idea and it is a classic style/arrangement

what is outside of a bathroom that is ever worth reflecting?

• Olychick
    13 days ago

Will you hang or lean? I think the length of #2 is great, but I think it should be hung so it's taller looking. Ideally, I think a TINY bit narrower and a bit taller would be best. Color looks good, too.

gtdj519 thanked Olychick
  • cubby14
    13 days ago

If you're set on those two then I like the first one better, You could probably do some silver Rub-n-Buff on the frame if you wanted. However personally I'm not in love with either one of them. I think taller is needed to be the correct scale in that space.

• elcieg
    13 days ago

From West Elm:

gtdj519 thanked elcieg
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thanks for the suggestion elcieg. the measurment would be perfect, but i dont care for the design, as it really would not go well in my home.. i would like something more understated and classic to me, that mirror is a statmenet on its own. with a statement chandelier being installed and art, it think it would all be too much. great piece for a soace, just not going to work in mine. the measurements are perfect though!! 😡

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    13 days ago

The mirror will be hung on the wall. i do not want it just sitting on the mantel.

if i go with either of these, with 42 inches of wall height above the fireplace, there would be about 6 inches of wall above and 6 inches below the mirror. .

• Kate Cowers
    12 days ago

Both of those mirrors are boring. Sorry. You're focusing too much on the size and not the aesthetic.

• ilikefriday
    12 days ago

• Stacey
    12 days ago

I agree with Kate, it looks boring. Have you considered a round black mirror ?

• jackowskib
    12 days ago

Aesthetically I think a different shape is needed. In photo above I count 7 rectangle objects. Round or a unique shape would balance better.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

thanks for comments. there are 2 things at play here. the wall space height above the fireplace is only 42 inches. the largest round mirror i could use would be 40 round( which would be practically touching the mantel and crown molding

if i did a round 36-38, it would fit better, however the issue then lies with the width/ diameter of the mirror is so small compared to the width of a 7 foot mantle. i can try a round 36 or 38 to see how it looks.

The mirrors i am looking at may be considered boring by some, but to me , it is just simple and elegance. I am not looking for a unique mirror. i will be installing a statement chandelier, so I am not looking for a competitor. The reality is that I do have to consider size for it to look appropriate. A mirror too small will look awful and a mirror too big will look awful.

My coffee table is oval and the chandeliers that I am considering are both round. i also have round table lamps and 2 large round seating ottomans, On the opposite wall i plan on having some circular scultpured art that I like above a sideboard. I do have some other shapes in the room that aren’t featured in the pic.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I got a 36 round sample mirror to try out sizing. I could also get a 38 so it is a little bigger, but that is as big as I could go.

this is the 36.

i think the black looks okay, but i think id prefer a softer finish of silver.

I think the round shape is pretty, but does then36 or a 38 look too small over the mantle size?

• ilikefriday
    11 days ago

The round mirror looks about a thousand times better imo. I would do 38".

gtdj519 thanked ilikefriday
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 days ago

If i can find a 38… am looking and i see mostly 36 🤦🏼‍♀️

• gardener123
    11 days ago

I saw this mirror in person. It is a lovely gilded gold, and also comes in silver leaf. It looks more expensive than it is. Lots of purchasing options if you search it. 36" round, 38.5 to the top. Gold is so pretty with blue, as is silver.

Love the blue! Please share your paint color!

ETA be sure to shop it if you're interested, as I said, lots of purchasing options. And here it is in Silver Leaf

• Olychick
    11 days ago

I think the best way to use round within your size constraints would be if you layered it like some of the examples posted above. It looks too small with too much space left over that will get too busy if you try to fill it with 'stuff'.

I know you are probably sick of more suggestions but when I was looking for inspo pics I kept seeing this idea and wondered what you might think of it. I think it would work great to solve your problem of a long mantel with a ceiling height like yours. People have added really simple molding/woodwork above the mantel to narrow the actual place to hang a mirror or art. It seems to make the proportions easier to work with and ads some interest that isn't more 'stuff.' Without much $ you might be able to add a very simple embellishment also above the cabinets that could make picking and hanging art easier by having a defined area to hang it. This was a DIY project:

I thought this was an interesting round choice with just a few items on the mantel to balance,

Here is the layered look using a vintage mirror and a bit of layering.

An idea for a more interesting mirror choice might be to scout some vintage/antique shops and see if you can find something that either matches your color preference or could be painted. Even a beautiful old frame could have mirror added.

This isn't old but an interesting shapeI that could work and could be painted to match your trim or gold or silver.

And honestly, you have a beautiful room and wonderful taste, but I think all of your issues could be solved if your cabinets were taller. If they were closer to the height of the mantel, you wouldn't feel like you have so much wall to decorate. You could add a mirror and stack some art on the mantel and forget hanging art on the sides. Your items on the top of the cabinets would be much taller in the room and what you put above the mantel would be the finishing touch with your new chandelier reflected.

I don't know where you found your cabinets but if you like the idea of making them taller, maybe there are matching pieces you could add below the cabinets to raise them. Or even a simple box with trim added and painted to match could work. Or maybe get two more and stack them. Maybe there are ready made drawer stacks that could be added below. Or maybe hang them above the floor

Fireplace with more extensive trim added and taller cabinets, though I think these could be a bit taller, too.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you olychick for offering so many suggestions. the molding idea/ building up cabients is a clever one, however , neither my husband nor I are handy, so everything we do, we have to hire someone. Labor is very expensive wherei live (NY) and small jobs like that can cost hundreds. We have paid for so many renovations recently , and still going through some; have to allot funds to other areas of the house.

I see the layering idea, but to me, if i am layering the mirror with other items, it feels just as cluttered to me as adding stuff to the mantel to fill in the empty sides. I’d like to keep the sides simple. I honestly just plan on the 2 candle holders pictured, and if anything at all, maybe 1 item on the other side.

i know a mirror can work here , it‘s just figuring out the appropriate size and shape. i have weird dimensions in this room, so it gives me a major maigraiine trying to piece it all together. 🤦🏼‍♀️

i appreciate all suggestions. i am listening and trying the ones i think are feasible. i really appreiciate it !

• Maureen
    11 days ago

At this point, let size be your last decision and consider the entirety of the wall by creating a connection and the mirror’s shape (and eventual) size will be easier.…if a bit on the smaller size, offset with mantle accessories and/or wireless sconces.

If on the larger size, not a big deal….if sides feel balanced.

Deciding on the overall look/frame/color will at least help, as what you have been doing doesn’t seem to have you gotten you any further ahead and is discouraging I’m sure.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 days ago

not thinking of if size is hard. if i see a mirror i like, it may not come in a size appropriate enough ( for example, it may only come ip to a size 28 diameter if a round, which will look odd as it way too small, even with adding surrounding elements)

I like a rectangle, i think a round looks nice, maybe an arched shape if it fit well; i havent seen an arched one in my spwce.

once again, i do have to think of sizing. if i decide on a particular shape, and i cant get the right size in that shape, where do i stand?

for example, i like how the round shape looked, but is the 36 too small? and if it is too small, the most easily found next size up is 39. with 42 inches of wall, is a 39 going to be too cramped?

• la_la Girl
    11 days ago

I totally get that you want a clean minimal look (my mantle is below lol) - 2 ideas to add to the conversation:

do vertical mirrors (maybe in antiqued mirror) above each cabinet with a nice lamp in front and then artwork over the mantle -

Or if you’re set on a mirror to reflect the chandy, I would get the side walls set and then add the mirror - I really think the mirror is hard to do in isolation (you might find you want something different once the side pieces are hung)

my home · More Info

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    11 days ago

My rule of thumb is that mirrors should only be used as decorative items if what is being reflected is worth seeing.

• ilikefriday
    11 days ago

I think the round mirror that you have now is fine in terms of size. A couple of inches bigger would be better since not much will accompany it on the mantel.

• Maureen
    11 days ago

Suggest looking on line, as sometimes mirrors come in different sizes. At this point, you know your parameters, max dimensions and I believe you prefer horizontal. Just tape out on wall to be sure prior to purchasing (and look into look return policy).

With having a style in mind, your search won’t be as difficult.

https://www.wayfair.ca/Mercer41--Aleeza-Beveled-Accent-Mirror-X115708862-L41-K%7EC004637933.html?refid=PSO446-C004637933_1653224181_1698095763&PiID%5B%5D=1653224181&PiID%5B%5D=1698095763

• MR W
    11 days ago

Have you considered a custom frame for your mirror? I have had excellent results working with local framing shops in design just the size and design I want.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Omg la_la girl…. i am not going back to trying mirrors/ lamps on cabinets LOL.

i tried out many versions of it, ( i thought you may have been on some off those threads - maybe not)

i cant used mirrors above the cabinets , as the one on the right shows a beautiful reflection of my kitchen microwave! i settled on art over cabinets and mirror over fireplace.

nice mantel. simple yet pretty and interesting

• la_la Girl
    11 days ago

^ ah okay on the side mirrors, didn't realize that had already been explored! NVM

Wonder about something custom from Etsy? Also wondering if an arch seems a better fit than a plain rectangular shape?

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Ive looked at custom , but they are so expensive. i have a budget which makes this all the more difficult. 🤦🏼‍♀️

i thought about arched, but most are not that wide and would be too small width wise. I have also not seen an arch shape in my room yet. i have tried rectangle and round so far.

i found this one that is very simple and the size seems like it could work ( 40 high would be almost at crown molding height of 42. may look too tight??

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Ive looked at custom , but they are so expensive. i have a budget which makes this all the more difficult. 🤦🏼‍♀️

i thought about arched, but most are not that wide and would be too small width wise. I have also not seen an arch shape in my room yet. i have tried rectangle and round so far.

i found this one that is very simple and the size seems like it could work ( 40 high would be almost at crown molding height of 42. may look too tight??

• la_la Girl
    11 days ago

I would tape it out before buying it to see what I thought

gtdj519 thanked la_la Girl
  • cubby14
    10 days ago

@Kate Cowers, is it really necessary to be so harsh.
    Some of us find it hard to make decisions and maybe more so when others don’t agree with our direction. Don’t read if you feel so impatient about someone making a decision. Really what’s it to you? Scroll on by.

gtdj519 thanked cubby14
  • ilikefriday
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

@Kate Cowers

Interesting that you make the comment on this post where the OP is engaged with the conversation. It has been 3 days. She has already gone out and tried a circular mirror. You can hardly get an Amazon purchase in that amount of time. She is not on your clock.

gtdj519 thanked ilikefriday
  • Kate Cowers
    10 days ago

I am so not sure what that means.......

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Guess i missed Kate Cowers recent comment; as I dont see what you are talking about. i only know that she previously stated my room looks boring.

I must have missed the memo of what constitutes a fun and exciting living room. 😂

”you’re living room is so exciting!!” said no one… ever.

thanks for the support houzz friends, for whatever impatience and harshness was posted.

• chispa
    10 days ago

Just don't get caught up with following the sizing guidelines as your only goal. They are just that, guidelines or suggestions, and not absolutes. There are times when rules/guidelines should be bent or broken! I think that is why you are getting so many comments to go bigger with the mirror.

gtdj519 thanked chispa
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Yes chispa, i agree about breaking rules at times. i do that quite often with great end results. very sound advice , as nit every house can follow the exact rules.

i guess right now is, if i go rectangle l, is the one i have too big?

if i go circle, is the 36 sample i have okay or is a 36 too small ? if it is too small, i can only go up to 38 or 39 due to wall height of 42. The circle shape loos nice, but i can only go so big with it

• Susan L
    10 days ago

I think you know the answer about the round one, and the answer is no. It doesn’t take up enough horizontal space. Even if you go up to 39 it will only be three inches wider (because math) and will probably still look too narrow and bare. The obvious solution would be to add other objects on the side, as has been suggested, but you already said you wouldn’t like to do that. So I think you’re a bit stuck, just based on the geometry of the existing condition and because of how circles work. As for the rectangular ones I think choice 2 is a better size. Beverly’s last suggestion with the round mirror and surrounding objects is much more lively and interesting.

• Olychick
    10 days ago

I'm not sure why I keep looking for new options for you, lol, but I decided to look up mirror tiles used over fireplace to see if there were any ideas and found this!

They have a DIY tutorial. They added some more elaborate trim than you might want, but I think it could be trimmed simply and easily. HD and Lowes will cut pieces to size for you. Or a handyman with decent skills wouldn't charge too much.

Mirror tiles

here is one with no trim at all. They used antiqued finish, but I think a plain beveled edge would work:

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    10 days ago

yes, id like to keep the mantel simple, but i did say that i was planning on keeping the existing candles , but would add something if needed to the other side ( to make up for lack of width)

i am not opposed to doing so.