SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lhcproject

Thoughts on making galley kitchen more open?

Gaia Aires
9 days ago
last modified: 9 days ago

Hello everyone, I've lived in my home for enough time now to have developed a few complaints about my living space and more particularly, the kitchen. I've added pics (click on the word) so you can see what I'm talking about.

THINGS I DISLIKE:

• The galley kitchen width-wise is so narrow. If you open the dishwasher and the fridge door at the same time, game over. If there are more than 2 people it can feel so claustrophobic. Would love to make it even 6" wider
  • I hate the cut out in the kitchen facing the living area. I wish it was just entirely open.
  • With the breakfast nook right off the kitchen, it feels so redundant to have the overhanging bar counter area especially since that space eats into the "hallway" behind the sofa.

IDEAS FOR CHANGES:

• Ideally, I'd get rid of the overhanging bar counter and use the space that overhang takes up to bump out that wall of the kitchen so there's more width space in the kitchen itself
  • I'd eliminate the wall cut-out and just make the whole thing open
  • Maybe extending cabinetry in the kitchen all the way to the ceiling to make it feel more expansive (and practically, get more storage)
  • Built-ins in the breakfast nook wall with a built-in bench to get more storage and retain seating space

Ultimate goal: make the kitchen feel open and airy

Any ideas/suggestions/changes to the floor plan or overall design to achieve this? Thank you!

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!