SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
byst

Hood help for small kitchen with 8 foot ceilings

byst
14 days ago

I have a dilemma. I am trying to make a hood decision (due yesterday) but don't think I've hit the right option yet. We have 8 foot ceilings and are doing a reno. I am installing a 36 inch cooktop. Originally we thought we were going for a 19.5 inch hood insert with a box shape hood cover, but cabinet maker says that will look odd (stick out too far - 9.5 inches) from our wall cabinets our short-ish wall span. So now I am looking for options. We have to stay under 400 CFM on the hood. I found a 17.5 inch insert, so maybe that is a possibility. I also found a minimalist glide out by Zephyr that could work as an option, but don't know if it looks too stark. It is only 290 CFM (supposedly a microwave hood is 200), but the other options we are looking at are 390, so not a huge difference? Kitchen designer says our ceilings are too short for an angled wood hood cover like the one in white in the photo below. I'm not sure. Adding to the puzzle is the fact that the pantry on the right of the wall is recessed, rather than proud, so maybe that factors in to whether we have a "proud" hood cover. Kitchen designer suggested a stainless wall hood, but since that wall is what we'll be looking at from the formerly enclosed dining room (now a half wall between kitchen and DR) I'm not terribly keen on that. Will have soapstone counters, wood floor, white cabinets. Here are some pix of what I am considering along with a rendering of that wall. Any ideas on which of these hood styles could work best? Thank you for any helpful ideas. We are probably leaning toward the glide out at this point.

Comments (10)